August 17, 2026, Monday
English

The death toll in the Sydney shooting has reached 16

Main News Image

Kathmandu. The death toll in the shooting at Bondi Beach in Sydney has reached 16. A father and son have been identified as the attackers, according to the police. Police in the state of New South Wales have confirmed that 16 people have died after the shooting on Monday morning.

A police statement said that 14 people died on the spot and two others died at the hospital. The ages of the dead ranged from 10 to 87 years and one of the attackers was also included. 40 injured people are being treated at the hospital. Five of them are in critical condition. New South Wales Police Force Commissioner Mal Lanyon told a news conference that the two alleged gunmen were a 50-year-old man and his 24-year-old son.

Lanyon said the 50-year-old man, who was killed at the scene, was a licensed gunman who was legally carrying six guns. This is Australia's deadliest mass shooting since 1996 in Port Arthur, Tasmania, when 35 people died.

mediabaaji add

Related News

Telephone conversation between the presidents of Iran and Russia

Kathmandu. Russian President Vladimir Putin and Iranian President Masoud Pezheshkian had a telephone conversation. It is said that the talks focused on the ongoing conflict in the Middle East region. During the conversation on Tuesday night, Putin...

BJP-JDU alliance heading towards two-thirds in Bihar

Kathmandu. The counting of votes for the 2025 Bihar assembly elections has begun. Early trends indicate that the NDA is leading. Today the heir to the throne of Bihar will be decided. The NDA and the Grand Alliance are...

Unemployment numbers rising in Japan

Tokyo. The unemployment rate in Japan remained stable at 2.6 percent for the third month in a row in October. The number of unemployed is increasing. According to the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, th...

Meta calls for Australia's under-16 social media ban to be reconsidered

Kathmandu. META called on Australia on Monday to reconsider the world's first ban on social media for under-16s. Meanwhile, according to the new law, the company has blocked more than 544,000 accounts.

Since December 10 last year, Australia...

Israel declares state of emergency after Iranian attack injures 88 people

Kathmandu. The Iranian missile attack on the southern city of Arad in Israel has caused great damage. According to the local fire department, the missile fell in the center of the city, causing extensive damage to the city center and surrounding r...

Trump revealed that a preliminary agreement has been signed between the US and Iran to end the war

Kathmandu. US President Donald Trump has claimed that a preliminary agreement has been signed to end the three-and-a-half-month-long war with Iran. President Trump confirmed the diplomatic success during a bilateral meeting with French President E...